Reports To: Vice President for Finance
The Senior Accountant reports to the Vice President for Finance (VP Finance) and is responsible for supporting monthly close, compliance, and financial planning and analysis activities for Communities In Schools of North Carolina (CISNC) as well as its subsidiaries and affiliates as requested.
The person in this new and integral role will work collaboratively with others to ensure that the organization complies with requirements for federally funded programs and that internal control standards are met. The Senior Accountant will support CISNC in preparing for its Single Audit.
- Partner with the VP Finance and Financial Analyst to prepare the organization for its Single Audit. Prepare and deliver training, ensure compliance with program requirements, and perform monthly sampling and review of transactions for compliance. Gather information requested for and otherwise support the Single Audit.
- Contribute to the monthly close by preparing journal vouchers, account reconciliations, reports, and financial statement analysis.
- Prepare the monthly detailed salaries forecast for review by the VP Finance.
- Prepare invoices and accounts receivable journal entries and reconcile them to the general ledger and external guidelines. Monitor receivables for timely receipt and address any delays. Prepare program reports for grantors.
- Support annual budget development by partnering with the Financial Analyst to create tools, templates, and training for the organization. Prepare content for presentations and the accounting system budget upload file.
- Support the annual external audit by preparing select financial statements and footnotes and providing requested information for the auditors.
- Support the annual review and update of CISNC’s fiscal policies and procedures.
- Support the VP Finance in preparing the Form 990s.
- Assist the Financial Analyst with accounting system maintenance.
Required Education / Experience / Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or similar field of study or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of experience in accounting, audit, and / or finance.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn, understand and apply program requirements and standards.
- Ability to support concurrent projects / tasks.
- Must be able to hear, see, and move about the office.
- Must be able to lift 10 lbs.
- Must maintain a high level of cognitive function to support the operations of this strategic function.
Preferred Education / Experience:
- CPA, CGMA or MBA.
- Prior experience planning, conducting or otherwise supporting Single Audits.
- Nonprofit organization experience.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law (referred to as “protected status”). This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits and termination of employment.