At Communities In Schools, we are “all-in” for kids. It is our passion– it is our mission. As the State Office for North Carolina, we deliver CIS programs across the state and we collaborate with local affiliate organizations, to provide resources and create communities of caring adults who work hand-in-hand with educators to make sure young people have the tools they need to stay in school and achieve in life. Communities In Schools is the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization, serving 1.5 million students in 2,400 sites across the country. We achieve this mission by hiring bright, creative, and innovative team members who have a passion for what we do. At CISNC, we value relationships, collaboration, learning, integrity and commitment.
The Manager, Finance (Manager) reports to the Vice President for Finance (VP Finance) and is responsible for leading and managing select portions of the monthly general ledger close, maintaining the accounting system, and providing accounting and finance guidance to Communities In Schools of North Carolina (CISNC) affiliates. The Manager directly supports compliance, development, and financial planning and analysis activities for CISNC and its subsidiaries.
All work is to be performed in compliance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America (U.S. GAAP); federal, state, and local laws and regulations; and requirements set forth by our funders.
- Lead and manage select areas of the monthly close by reviewing and posting journal vouchers and reviewing and approving account reconciliations. Prepare select journal vouchers and account reconciliations for review by the VP Finance.
- Ensure that financial reports are prepared accurately and timely, perform year-over-year and budget versus actual analysis, review results with team leads, present findings and recommendations to organizational leaders, and initiate corrective action as needed.
- Prepare reports that show funding utilization to date, predicted future utilization, and projected variances against plan. Communicate status and projections proactively with the VP Finance and department leads with the goal of fully utilizing funding by the award period end. Prepare finance related content for reports due to grantor.
- Support annual budget development by creating tools, templates, and training for the organization. Prepare content for presentations and the accounting system budget upload file.
- Support the annual external audit by preparing select financial statements and footnotes and providing requested information for the auditors.
- Support the annual review and update of CISNC’s fiscal policies and procedures. Perform quarterly internal reviews to assess compliance with fiscal policies and procedures and support the VP Finance with remediation efforts.
- Support the VP Finance in preparing the Form 990s.
- Maintain the financial accounting system and chart of accounts.
- Serve as finance liaison for CISNC’s affiliates, providing direct support that aligns with the statewide network’s goals and objectives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or similar field of study or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in accounting, audit, and / or finance.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn, understand and apply program requirements and standards.
- Ability to support concurrent projects / tasks.
- Must be able to hear, see, and move about the office.
- Must be able to lift 10 lbs.
- Must maintain a high level of cognitive function to support the operations of this strategic function.
- Accountability & Dependability
- Creative & Innovative Thinking
- Ethics and Integrity
- Interpersonal Skills
- Planning and Organizing
- Results Focus
- Valuing diversity
Job Specific Competencies:
- Decision Making & Judgement
- Fiscal Accountability
- Problem Solving
- Must be willing to travel up to 10%
- Must be able to type, see, speak and hear
- Must be able to move about the office
- Must be able to lift 10 lbs. on an intermittent basis
- Must maintain a high level of cognitive function to direct the operations of this strategic function
- Remote at the moment but will be based in the Raleigh, NC office twice a week.
We offer outstanding benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 403(b) and MORE!!! We offer paid vacation, sick time and holidays. Our team is friendly, fun and collaborative.