Reports to: Vice President for Finance (VP Finance)
Communities In Schools of North Carolina (CISNC) surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
We are looking for a team-oriented and technically proficient Assistant Controller to lead and manage accounting functions within the Finance department, thereby enabling CISNC to fulfill its mission. Successful candidates are energized by leading and growing people, initiating thoughtful analysis and problem solving, and improving operational and program outcomes.
Main responsibilities will include leading and managing the monthly general ledger close processes, maintaining the accounting system, supporting technology implementations and enhancements, promoting strong internal controls throughout the organization, and proving material leadership and support for external audits and compliance reviews. The Assistant Controller will be responsible for guiding and reviewing work of others on the Finance team although will not have any direct reports.
All work is to be performed in compliance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America (U.S. GAAP); federal, state, and local laws and regulations; and requirements set forth by our funders.
- Oversee and participate in core accounting functions and other necessary activities of the finance department. These functions including establishing and maintaining the organization’s accounting principles, practices, procedures, and initiatives.
- Ensure that financial reports are prepared accurately and timely, perform year-over-year and budget versus actual analysis, review results with team leads, present findings and recommendations to organizational leaders, and initiate corrective action as needed.
- Monitor results against expectations to help manage to the budget and meet expected financial results.
- Maintain the financial accounting system and chart of accounts.
- Provide coaching to accounting staff to help ensure that they meet acceptable standards of performance.
- Perform internal reviews to assess compliance with fiscal policies and procedures and lead remediation efforts.
- Ensure compliance with funder requirements, including but not limited to those related to use of funds and reporting.
- Provide material support for the external financial statement audit, fiscal monitor, and other external reviews / audits.
- Participate in, manage, and lead projects to achieve goals of the finance department and company.
- Ability to manage or participate in multiple projects concurrently.
- Must be able to manage or participate in multiple concurrent projects
- Must be able to hear, see, and move about the office
- Must be able to lift 10 lbs.
- Must maintain a high level of cognitive function to direct the operations of this strategic function
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of experience in the Accounting / Finance field
- Management or leadership experience
- CPA, CGMA, or MBA preferred
- Relevant experience in a non-profit environment is preferred
- Accountability & Dependability
- Creative & Innovative Thinking
- Ethics and Integrity
- Interpersonal Skills
- Planning and Organizing
- Results Focus
- Valuing diversity
Job Specific Competencies:
- Coaching, Mentoring, & Developing Others
- Decision Making & Judgement
- Fiscal Accountability
- Organizational Awareness & Political Savvy
- Problem Solving
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law (referred to as “protected status”). This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits and termination of employment.
Apply now at https://jsco.re/9qcrx